Tonight’s dinner from “Chef Danny” was his delicious homemade tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich, a hearty meal for a chilly New England Fall evening.
This recipe comes from Will Fly For Food
- 1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsps butter (Easily omitted without any real taste difference, to make this paleo friendly)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, optional (Daniel and I omit this)
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Strain chopped canned tomatoes while reserving the juices, then spread onto baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle over with 1/4 cup of olive oil and roast until caramelized (around 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat in saucepan. Add celery, carrot, onion, and garlic, then cook until softened (around 10 minutes).
- Add roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf, and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender (around 15-20 minutes).
- Add basil and cream (if using). Puree with hand-held immersion blender until smooth. *Cue sigh of relief seeing something that finally looks like tomato soup, and tastes SO GOOD!
I’m not much of a soup fanatic but this one is even better for lunch the next day (Note: double the recipe to allow for leftovers if you’re make this for two people). Of course, don’t forget to make your favorite grilled cheese for dunking!