Tonight’s dinner from Chef Danny was a quick and easy meal for couple’s on a budget. Bonus: It’s healthy too!
This recipe comes from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Note: this recipe calls for already cooked chicken so plan ahead! I like to cook my chicken in the crockpot, using frozen chicken breasts and about 1 cup of chicken broth for every 2 chicken breasts. I cook on low for about 4-5 hours and then shred and refrigerate (or freeze) for later. We use refrigerated chicken breasts that we boil in chicken broth/stock for 15~ minutes or until you’re able to easily shred the chicken.
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups BBQ sauce, storebought or (I used this awesome homemade version)
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, cored and chopped
- 2 romaine hearts, chopped
- 1/2 red onion diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cubed small or shredded
- 4 ounces Monterey jack cheese, cubed small or shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise, light or regular
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (here is a guide for making your own buttermilk)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- For the salad, combine the cooked chicken and BBQ sauce in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, toss together the iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, red onion, cilantro, corn, black beans and cheese. Toss the mixed salad with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the dressing, if desired. Otherwise, you can serve the dressing on the side. Place salad on plates and top with the prepared BBQ chicken and additional dressing.
- For the dressing, combine all the ingredients together and whisk (or shake, if using a jar) vigorously to combine. You could also run this through a blender to make it even more smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make Ahead Instructions: All the components of this salad can be prepared up to a day in advance (the dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance). Store separately in the refrigerator and toss before serving.