This past Saturday night, Danny made one of our favorite taco recipes. Seriously, Danny’s absolute favorite (even better than Chipotle).
Note: We follow the original recipe as is. We have the barbacoa on tacos – corn tortillas with red onion, Monterey Jack cheese, and avocados
Original Recipe from Cooking Classy
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth, divided
- 3 – 4 chipotle chilis in adobo
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp salt, then more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Cut roast into 6 portions while removing any large pieces of fat. Heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil in a skillet. Once hot add 3 pieces of the chuck roast and sear until browned on all sides. Transfer to a slow cooker. Add remaining 1 Tbsp vegetable oil to skillet and repeat process with remaining 3 roast pieces. Nestle beef portions side by side in an even layer in slow cooker.
- In a food processor, pulse together chipotle chilies, garlic and 1/4 cup beef broth until well pureed, occasionally stopping and scraping down sides of processor. In a 2 cup liquid measuring cup or in a bowl, whisk together remaining beef broth with chipotle mixture, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cloves. Pour mixture over beef in slow cooker, then nestle bay leaves between beef portions. Cover and cook on low heat 8 – 9 hours (I wouldn’t recommend cooking on high, low cooking will achieve more tender results).
- Remove beef from slow cooker (leave broth) and shred. Stir lime juice into broth in slow cooker then return beef to slow cooker and cook on low or warm 20 – 30 minutes longer. Strain liquid from beef and serve in tacos with desired toppings.