Being on a budget, it’s rare that we can have fish regularly. However, when we really want to mix things up and have fish we have these tuna patties and YUM!! Let me speak from experience in saying that these have eliminated the sad tuna sandwiches we used to have. The black bean salad fills out the meal and is so refreshing!
Note: Our changes to the original recipes are in italics.
From Simply Recipes
- 2 6-ounce cans tuna
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp water (or liquid from the cans of tuna)
- 2 Tbsp chopped dried parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped dried chives, green onions, or shallots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A couple squirts of Crystal hot sauce or tabasco
- 1 raw egg
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
2 tsp pickled jalapeño juice or pickle juice
1/4 cup mayo
1 Drain tuna: Drain the liquid from the tuna cans. If you are using tuna packed in water, reserve a tablespoon of the tuna water, and add a teaspoon of olive oil to the tuna mixture in the next step.
2 Mix tuna with mustard, bread crumbs, zest, lemon juice, water, parsley, chives, hot sauce, salt, pepper, pickle/jalapeño juice, mayo, egg: In a medium bowl, mix together the tuna, mustard, bread crumbs, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, parsley, chives, hot sauce, pickle/jalapeño juice, and mayo. Sprinkle on salt and freshly ground black pepper. Taste the mixture before adding the egg to see if it needs more seasoning to your taste. Mix in the egg.
3 Form into patties, chill: Divide the mixture into 4 parts. With each part, form into a ball and then flatten into a patty. Place onto a wax paper lined tray and chill for an hour. (You can skip the chilling if you want, chilling just helps the patties stay together when you cook them.)
4 Sauté in skillet: Heat the olive oil and a little butter (for taste) in a cast iron or stick-free skillet on medium high. Gently place the patties in the pan, and cook until nicely browned, 3-4 minutes on each side.
Serve with wedges of lemon.
Black Bean Salad
From Simply Recipes
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1 1/2 cups of freshly cooked black beans)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted (or fresh corn, parboiled, drained and cooled, or grilled and cooled)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (including onion greens) or shallots
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced, or 1/2 pickled jalapeño pepper, minced (not seeded)
- 3 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped and/or 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (about the juice from one lime)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar (to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 In a large bowl, gently combine the black beans, corn, chopped green onions, minced jalapeños, chopped tomatoes (or red bell pepper), lime juice, and olive oil. Gently fold in the chopped avocados.
2 Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with sugar to taste, enough to balance the acidity from the lime juice. Chill.
3 Right before serving, add the chopped fresh cilantro.