Another favorite from Budget Bytes. An easy way to incorporate seafood into our dinner routine while still being pretty healthy (but tastes like a cheat meal!).
Note: Our changes are in italics.
From Budget Bytes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ Tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ lb. frozen shrimp
- 1 fresh lemon
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Add the olive oil, onion, and garlic to a large deep skillet. Sauté over medium heat until the onions are soft and transparent (about 5 minutes). Meanwhile, dice the red bell pepper. Add the diced bell pepper to the skillet and sauté for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the uncooked rice, turmeric, smoked paprika, and cayenne to the skillet. Stir to combine. Pour in the chicken broth, stir briefly, then place a lid on the skillet.
- Turn the heat up to high and bring the broth to a boil. Once it reaches a full boil, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add the frozen shrimp and frozen peas. Fold the shrimp and peas into the skillet, then replace the lid. Let the shrimp and peas cook over low heat until the shrimp turn pink (about 5-10 minutes). Stir once half way through to check the shrimp buried in the rice for doneness.
- Once the shrimp has finished cooking serve with lemon wedges. Squeeze the lemon juice over top of the seafood rice just before eating.